Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Showing the Flag

With the exception of Canada Day and international hockey tournaments, we Canadians are not exactly a flag-waving bunch. It's not that we don't love and appreciate our country because we sure do, but we're not demonstrably fervent on a daily basis. Of course, we're just taking the typically under-stated Canadian approach to life.

But it is July 1st today, and that means that it is Canada Day and that flags aplenty will be waving. We have three hanging about here and there, but they'll all come down shortly because ... well, because that's what we do when it's not Canada Day or an international hockey tournament. This is the flag that I see at present in our backyard while gazing out our bedroom window.



Most of us will be wearing red and white, or at least red if we can't find any white. I took the following picture several years ago at a gathering at the kids' place, but today will offer similar shots in many a yard and park across the land.



While I'm at it, here's a bit more Canadiana for your troubles. On the weekend we were able to take in the RCMP Musical Ride. I didn't take this photo (see acknowledgment below), but it is from a similar event. Several dozen Mounties in their scarlet tunics performing with their black horses is quite a wonderful sight.

And very Canadian. Eh?


Taken by nikki-tate and posted on Flickr

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Canada Day. I started having myself a holiday on this day years ago. My Boss would say Peggy You can be off the 1st I know it is Canada Day. Love the flag, can always spot it in a group. I guess that means I know it. Congrats dear northern neighbors on your day. Bleessings
QMM

Barry said...

I will be wearing red and white today too.

Loved the Mountie picture!

KGMom said...

HAPPY CANADA DAY--AC, and all my Canadian friends and family.

Anonymous said...

Yay Canada!!

Mara said...

Happy Canada Day!

At least red and white are somewhat better colours than orange (which is our national colour!)

Woman in a Window said...

I took a walk through a Provincial Park yesterday early in the morning and a man addressed me with such an enfused with excitement face, "Good morning and hey, Happy Canada Day." It was simple but intoxicating. Why, in fact, it was a Happy Canada Day. Hope your's was good too.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I guess I lived in the US too long for I fly my Canadian Flag year round. I trust your modest heart pounded with pride at the musical ride.

Pearl said...

happy Canada Day